The industrial complexes in Gyeongju may well be ideal models of their kind. Located at the center of the 21st century pan-East Sea economic belt, Gyeongju has a great business investment environment with its affordable land, abundant water and ample industrial infrastructure. The city has great potential for Northeast Asian trade in the 21st century.
- Location: Gyeongju is located in the southeast part of North Gyeongsang Province. Bordering Cheongdo, Ulsan and Pohang on the west, south and north, respectively, and the city stretches to the East Sea coast.
- Size: 1,324.89㎢
- Households/Residents: 115,775 households/257,137 people
- Administrative districts: Four eups, eight myeons, 11 dongs (186ri, 307 Haengjeongri, 335tong, 3,254ban)
- Budget: 1.09 trillion won
- Cultural heritage: Total of 313 heritages (3.2% of the national cultural heritages, 20% of the cultural heritages in North Gyeongsang Province)
- Tourists: 11.395080 million people (Domestic tourists: 10.803695 million/ Foreign tourists: 591,382)
- Economic Size
- Exports: 51 export businesses (Large size: seven/ Mid-and Small-size: 44), $ 626 million
- GDRP: 5.14 trillion won (about 18 million won per capita)
- Industrial Base
- Semi-industrial complexes: 21 /159.213㎡
- Local industrial complexes: 32 /14,245,303㎡ (Completed: nine, Processing: 17,In discussion: six)
- Industrial and agricultural complexes: Five /4,616,657㎡
- Registered companies: 1,839(automobile parts: 454, metal machines: 360, non-metal minerals: 135, food materials: 85, etc. Employees: 40,855(Male: 32,340,Female: 8,515)
- Industry structure: agriculture & fishing 34%/mining and manufacturing 15%/ services and other 51%
Regional Characteristics and Conditions
- Gyeongju, the ancient capital of a thousand years and a global city of history, culture and tourism, is a bridge between Ulsan and Pohang.
- It has infinite potential to develop green industry as it is a mecca for energy, such as the Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Co.,Ltd and protonaccelerator center.
- Gyeongju is in the vicinity of such large companies as Hyundai Motors and Posco, which will lead the growth of small-and mid-sized businesses.
- The collaboration between large companies and small-and mid-sized companies generates a great deal of synergy.
- Industries related to auto parts and steel-related parts and materials,which are strategic industries for North Gyeongbuk Province, account for more than 60% of Gyeongju’s entire industry.
- Adjacent to Ulsan's motor industry and Pohang’s steel industry, Gyeongju is gaining attention as a new industrial region.
- With its 33km-long clean oceanic area, great natural scenery and various cultural heritages, Gyeongju is an optimal place for the development of the tourism and leisure industry as well.
Convenient Traffic Network
- With the Gyeongbu Express Railway, Gyeongbu Expressway, and Donghae Nambu Line available in the city, Gyeongju is indeed a hub of logistics.
- With the new express railway, KTX, having shortened the trip between Gyeongju and Seoul to two hours, the city has now become the center of tourism and industry.